Friday, February 17, 2023

It Works If You Work It

The floors of these sordid basement rooms made your hands feel sticky, even if they never even came close to touching them. It was a bad dream of a place; where grandiose proclamations, half-assed promises and assorted shame coagulated in a thin film across the tile, which was always poorly mopped, and inevitably crusting in the corners. I stared down into the last remaining inch of my tepid black coffee. I could see my distorted reflection, though thoughts of my own glaring imperfections would have to wait until it was my turn to speak. Tonight, my objective was simple - avoid eye contact with two people in the room: the enthusiastic old-timer who was chairing the meeting, and the tattooed, tumultuous, fuck-you stare of a bad news brunette.