Thursday, January 19, 2023

Croz Has Left The Building..

David Crosby was one of the most beautiful, brilliant, cantankerous, soulful and bracingly honest characters in American musical history. But more than that, he was a first class songwriter, a powerful cultural voice and, hands down, the greatest harmony singer I've ever heard. 

Croz was also fearlessly authentic and wholly unique, in a world that does not always like or reward such brazen sincerity. From The Byrds to CSNY to his incredible solo catalog, we were gifted with 59 years of his music. I can't imagine a world without him.  He is one of the Fathers of the country I live in. A true North Star. The void he leaves is tremendous. 

How lucky do I feel, how blessed am I, that I incarnated in a world where David Crosby played and sang? I'm beyond grateful. 

One of the things I truly admired about Croz was the way he rose from the ashes; like a portly, mustachioed phoenix (or songbird). He lost so many years to illness and self-destruction, only to spend the last decade of his life on a creative hot streak, making as much music as he could, releasing five beautiful records as the clock was running out. And when I say beautiful, you can rest assured that this is a colossal understatement.

He will remain a fixture on my record shelf and an inspiration for the rest of my life. 

"Don't waste the time. Time is the final currency, man. Not money, not power—it's time." - David Crosby 

Thank you, Mr. Crosby. Rest Easy. Well Done, Sir. You leave with a standing ovation.